*This post contains affiliate links. There is no extra cost to you, but will greatly help our family. If you would like to read more, here is our disclosure statement.
School is OUT! I remember being so so so excited for summer vacation as a child and loving every aspect of summer! I loved going to the pool and spending time more time with my mom! I will cherish these memories for a lifetime!
What are the best ways to create lasting memories that your child will remember for years to come?
Think back to your childhood, what are memories that stand out to you? Sure, I remember some of my favorite vacations with going to amusement parks and the ocean, but ones that stand out to me are going on bike rides around town, playing on the swing set in the back, having a water balloon and silly string fight in the front yard…just to name a few. What stands out to me are FUN and somewhat simple experiences!
Here are 27 Ideas to help you create your own wonderful memories with your family this summer!
- Spend time OUTSIDE! Connect children to nature at least 1 hour a day where they can learn and explore.
- Go Swimming
- Go Biking together and explore new trails and paths around your city or explore new cities together
- Go fishing together
- Grow a Garden together and teach your children how to care for the plants
- Have an outdoor picnic
- Play in the rain, splash in the puddles, make mud pies
- Search for flowers and bugs outside
- Go on a hike on a nature trail and search for birds
- Set up a butterfly or hummingbird garden to observe throughout the summer
- Catch fire flies at night
- Have a campfire and roast marshmallows
- Camp in the back yard
- Search for things at night with a flashlight (a memory that stands out to me with using a flashlight was searching for night crawlers outside with my dad to go fishing with)
- Teach your children how to listen to different bird sounds and set up a bird feeder to learn the different types of birds in your area
- Blow Bubbles outside
- Write and draw with Sidewalk Chalk in the driveway
- Have a water balloon fight, play with the hose outside and run through the sprinkler, or play on the slip and slide
- Have a silly string fight
- Play kickball outside
- Play basketball
- Play flashlight tag at night
- Start a rock collection and learn about the rocks you find outside
- Help your children learn different responsibilities around the house by creating a chore list and find ways to make the chores fun (such as dancing and singing while sweeping or mopping the floor or create contests while doing a chore
- Ask your kids if there is a new skill they would like to learn such as how to play an instrument, a new sport, or how to cook different meals
- Have your children help you with meal ideas for the week and let them help you in the kitchen
- Make a mess in the kitchen with your kids and have fun while doing it!
- Do Yoga poses every day together either inside or outside
I hope these ideas can help inspire you to make simple, but lasting memories with your kids that will last a lifetime with them!
I also wanted to share with you an amazing resource from And Next Comes L, where Dyan has created an ebook with a list of over 600 Everyday Sensory Play Experiences! Everyday Sensory Play lists 600+ everyday sensory activities designed to give your children the right sensory input that they want and need!
We hope that you have a wonderful fun filled summer with your children and would love to hear about the wonderful memories you are making with your children or past childhood summer memories!