School Sensory Strategy Toolkit
So often, kids with sensory processing challenges struggle in the school environment. Colleen from the OT Toolbox has created an amazing school sensory strategy toolkit just for you! This post contains affiliate links. There are no extra cost to you, but we may earn an income. Please see our disclosure statement for further details.
As a caregiver or parent, it is exhausting to see the challenges your child faces, while ticking through the laundry list of strategies and still witnessing the sensory breakdowns. Parents are the advocate for addressing their child’s needs. They are looking for resources to share.
Therapists are challenged to find tactics that will be carried over while meeting functional goals. We strive to create streamlined suggestions that will be used at home and in the midst of a busy classroom.
Often times, teachers are the middleman when it comes to sensory issues. They are dealing with curriculum requirements, little time, and demands of a full classroom. Time, space, and resources are limited in the classroom. Teachers struggle with meeting sensory needs and children who “feed off” other students.
Because of these challenges, the classroom can be a tricky environment for addressing the needs of students, incorporating strategies, and addressing behaviors related to sensory needs. If any of these struggles sound familiar, know that you are not alone!
You’re striving to find and use the sensory strategies that students need and to put them into place in easy-to-understand handouts where recommended tools can be highlighted. You’re seeking information about why students are acting the way they are and how to help them to improve learning, attention, regulation, and emotional needs so that educational needs are met.
Classroom Sensory Strategy Toolkit
That’s where the Classroom Sensory Strategy Toolkit comes in.
It’s a free printable packet of resources and handouts that can be used by teachers, parents, and therapists. Whether you are looking for a handout to explain sensory strategies, or a tool for advocating for your child, the Classroom Sensory Strategy Toolkit has got you covered.
And it’s free for you to print off and use again and again.
In the Classroom Sensory Strategy Toolkit, you’ll find:
- Fidgeting Tools for the Classroom
- Adapted Seating Strategies for the Classroom
- Self-Regulation in the Classroom
- 105 Calm-down Strategies for the Classroom
- Chewing Tools for Classroom Needs
- 45 Organizing Tools for Classroom Needs
- Indoor Recess Sensory Diet Cards
Here are a few ways that the Classroom Sensory Strategy Toolkit can address much-needed skills of our children/students/clients with sensory needs:
- Science tells us there are more kids with processing needs than ever before. Schools are responding with a better understanding of how to help students using sensory input within the school day.
- The Sensory Strategy Toolkit is a helpful tool for incorporating sensory needs within the educational environment as supports and tools that kids need.
- Sensory processing challenges in kids are baffling! Having a set of sensory tools that can be used in the classroom is powerful to teachers, parents, and therapists.
- Sensory processing issues cause stress, motivation, and challenges for the whole family. Having a toolkit of sensory strategies for the classroom can help.
- Self-regulation in the school environment can derail the whole classroom from effective learning. Use the calm-down strategies and self-regulation pieces in the toolkit and have the information you need to address these challenges.
- Those who work in the school environment struggle with a limited budget for addressing sensory needs. These strategies use equipment that is on hand in the classroom.
- The toolkit is appropriate for preschool through teenage years and older and the strategies can be modified to meet the needs of each individual.
Be sure to grab the Classroom Sensory Strategy Toolkit and start addressing those classroom sensory challenges!